Software Engineer – Backend
Brooklyn, NY, USA
At Civil, we are passionate about building a community-owned marketplace for ethical, independent journalism. We are committed to products that sustain free press, civil discourse, and public accountability. If you are passionate about these values and want to build leading-edge applications, we are looking for a talented backend software engineer to join our world-class engineering team.
As part of the team, your responsibility will be the design, implementation, testing, and maintenance of our critical APIs and backend data systems that power many of Civil’s products and offerings. You will collaborate closely with your fellow engineers and with product, operations, and design to build consumer-first products with global reach.
Civil believes strongly in a culture based on transparency, inclusiveness, and curiosity. We are looking for a like-minded person to join our ranks.
- 3-6 years experience as a software engineer on a team.
- Strong experience in designing, implementing and testing production-grade code.
- Experience with Golang and/or Typescript/NodeJS.
- Proficient in writing great unit tests and working in a test-driven environment.
- Proficiency in SCM/git and working collaboratively via code reviews and technical design sessions.
- Proficiency with debugging and troubleshooting complex systems.
- Knowledge of relational/SQL databases like Postgresql.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Any of these are plusses, but not required
- Knowledge of Ethereum and/or blockchain technologies.
- Knowledge of Solidity smart contracts.
- Experience deploying production applications to Google Cloud (Kubernetes, PubSub, etc.)
- Experience in DevOps and/or SRE.
- Experience working in an agile environment (Scrum/Sprints/Stories).
We are a remote-first company and while our team is spread around the world, our headquarters are in Brooklyn, NY.